The current challenges facing those in the hospitality industry can put pressure on mental health, as uncertainty combines with financial concerns and, for many, time out of the kitchen.
Covid-19 wellbeing hub
Our partners at Hospitality Action have recently created a new wellbeing hub packed with useful information on a range of issues that may impact your mental health at this difficult time. Topics include advice on addiction, anxiety, looking after your wellbeing during furlough and coping with uncertainty to name a few. Visit the hub here.
Tips to safeguard mental health
Here are some recommendations from our partners Hospitality Action to help safeguard your and your team’s mental health:
- Source information with care: seeking information from trusted sources and avoiding rumour and speculation, which can add to anxiety.
- See a list of resources for UK foodservice professionals here. - For health information and advice, head to the NHS website.
- Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service to check if you need medical help.
- Stay connected during self-isolation: keep loneliness at bay by connecting with friends and family over the phone and online. This can be a time to concentrate on the relationships that matter.
- Establish a daily routine: this can help reduce stress and staying occupied can be especially valuable for hospitality people who are used to busy working environments.
- Health and wellness: physical health affects mental health so listen to your body, eat well and exercise.
- Share your worries: talking can help put current events in perspective as well as letting you know that what you’re feeling is shared by others.
- Speak to family, friends and colleagues, to help stop worry festering into anxiety while checking in to see how they’re doing.
- If you are feeling anxious and need to talk, please call Hospitality Action’s free 24/7 helpline on 0808 802 2111 for free confidential support open to all. If the business you work for is a member of their Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) you can also call 0808 802 0282 for additional specialist advice.
Install this webapp on your iPhoneInstall this webapp on your iPadInstall this webapp on your Android phoneInstall this webapp on your Windows phone
Tap the share icon below and choose add to homescreen.Tap the share icon above and choose add to homescreen.Tap the share icon below and choose add to homescreen.Tap the share icon below and choose add to homescreen.