John Vitale leading a Fair Kitchen
John Vitale not only brings a taste of Italy to Caffé Anello, but a business model that draws upon empowering staff and encouraging transparency. John shares his experience in running a fair kitchen and how he created an atmosphere of creativity & oneness.
John's tips to work with the Code
- Start the conversation simply – how do they think last night's service went? What do they think could be improved? How do they feel today?
- Change up who talks first – sometimes a chef can start, sometimes a server can start. It shouldn't always be you. Everyone is equal.
- There's no "I" in team - get everybody's input on critical decisions and operational issues. It affects them, so their opinion counts.
- Involve your FOH - a well-run restaurant depends on a good relationship between FOH and BOH. Encourage this by bringing both into the conversation - they have different views on the same service.
- Make it memorable - give everyone a paper copy of the #FairKitchens Code (we put it on front on everyone's notebook) and encourage them to take notes.
- Show you're listening - use their notes to shape the next discussion, share what you're doing differently.
Watch the videos to see how he implements the values in his kitchen.